Thursday, April 14

Top 8 Perform

Well, Pia is gone. That was a shocker. But after everything I've read the past week, Nigel (the producer) said she was never going to win. Her votes and fans were never that high. He knows who the winners will be based on the votes each week. He said Carrie Underwood was the top vote winner every single week during her season. Plus, she's already signed a recording contract. She'll be fine, and we will hear from her soon I'm sure.

So. Movie Week.... songs from the cinema! This is a very broad theme which is good for all the remaining  contestants. I can't believe there are only 2 girls left.

  • First up was Paul McDonald. I wasn't too thrilled with his rendition of  "Old Time Rock-n-Roll" mostly because his voice didn't mesh well with it. Loved his crazy suit though. I think he does do better with his guitar. Still a fun performance, but it didn't get him anymore fans.
  • Lauren Alaina- Hells yes she would perform "The Climb" a million times better than Miley Cyrus. I'm so annoyed that the writer of that song wasted it on her voice. I think this was Lauren's best vocal performance because she actually 'went there' with the chorus and the big notes. Love Seacrest's comment about her mom... I laughed and rewinded it a few times.. something along the lines of "that's some volume in that air mom"... ha ha. Her mom bugs.
  • Stefano Langone- singing the old favorite End of the Road from boyz 2 men. If you just listen to him sing it's much easier for me. Something about his performances are always so desperate and intense. He has a great instrument though.
  • Scotty McCreery- As much as I would like to critique him I just can't. He sang George Strait's "Cross My Heart" and I'm sure he did it better than George. I repeat myself each week, I just can't get over his voice and his age. I would like him to hold the mic like a man though... I'm always afraid he's going to drop it with his lightly gripped finger tips.
  • Casey Abrams doing the bass again,, and doing it so smooth and cool. He sang Nat King Cole's "Nature Boy" ,, a song I'm not familiar with, but it was so dope. The dude is so musical,,, loved it.
  • Haley Reinhart doing a little Blondie action singing "Call Me" and it was alright. I really wanted her to get into it, but I think it's her performance that I just don't like sometimes. She's too smiley? This is a song that does not require as much teeth as she was showing. Her chorus was really good,,,but I just don't know about her on this one.
  • Jacob Lusk seemed a little less confident and happy this week. I think being in the bottom 3 and being called out several times on his little "America is afraid to look at themselves in the mirror" schtick kinda got to him. Good. He needed to be brought down a bit. So he sang "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and did a decent job. His vibrato sounded like a baby lamb was being strangled though. I can't even duplicate that sound when I try. It's way too much.
  • James Durbin closed the show with "Heavy Metal".... and was getting a little wordy with the producer guy. James knows his little genre and stuck to his guns. His voice is out of this world, but sometimes I don't feel like he's really a rocker... kinda like he's just a poser or something. I don't know what it is, but it's off. I like James and think he will be in the Final 3.
Well the show was very very good. It's hard to critique this season without a Tim Urban, or Sanjaya, or even a Tatiana,,,, so my power rankings based on last night's performances are:

  1.  Scotty McCreery
  2. Casey Abrams
  3. Lauren Alaina
  4. James Durbin
  5. Stefano Langone
  6. Paul McDonald
  7. Haley Reinhart
  8. Jacob Lusk
I predict from this point on that Scotty, James, and Lauren will be the TOP 3 this season.

3 comments:

Kimberly Porter said...

I thought that Ryan said, "That's some volume in your hair, mom" because her hair was way up high! ha ha. :)

I think the bottom 3 will be Stephano, Paul, and maybe Haley or Jacob.

Jacob was so not confident last night and that's a turn off. But I think it was Paul's last night. He just isn't as good as I hoped he would be and I think he's losing fans.

However, my favorite performance was Lauren and I think that she is the dark horse in the competition.

Becky said...

I think the final two will be Lauren and Scotty. I wouldn't call Lauren a dark horse because I think she's been an obvious favorite--of both fans and judges--since the beginning!

I really hope Haley stays. I actually really liked her performance of Call Me! I think she's so unique and so talented. And I'll be so mad if another girl goes home! I'm tired of watching the girls get picked off one by one. No guys have gone home since the top 13. I hope Jacob and Stefano are in the bottom 3. I like Paul, but I'd rather see him there than Haley. Or even James. He's a little over-confident. So I'm hoping for an all-male bottom 3 tonight! But since Haley got the ONLY negative comments of the night, I'm worried about her.

I can't watch Stefano, either! Last night I was thinking, if he goes home tomorrow night, what an embarrassing way to go out, trying SOOO hard in this performance.

Anonymous said...

A lamb being strangled, HA! You crack me up. That guy SERIOUSLY bugs me. Especially his little air humping when he sang Man in the Mirror. What was that?!!!! He is always my bottom and I will throw a party the day he leaves.