Thursday, March 24

Top 11 Perform

So I didn't live blog last night,,, I actually just wanted to sit on the couch and watch it. And I must say I really really enjoyed Motown night. I've been struggling with coming up with a bottom 3, and that generally never happens. So here's my short and sweet critiques of the remaining kids.

  • Casey Abrams- I just really want to trim his beard. Um, his faces and growling/grunting faces are getting a little too much perhaps? He sang, "I heard it through the Grapevine" and my husband and I laughed because our first exposure to this song was in the 80's when the claymation commercial of the dancing raisins was ruling the tube. Um, this was an alright performance.

  • Thia Megia- Her name is a delight to say,,, you can say it all crazy and funny. Almost like it should be on Yo Gabba Gabba or something.. lol. So, she sang "Heatwave",, it was fun to actually see her move around the stage and smile a bit. She does have a great tone to her voice, but I don't think she's screaming 'STAR'... I could see her on Broadway for sure. 

  • Jacob Lusk - "You're all I need to get by"... So, if ever there was a theme week for Jacob,, this would be the one.. and he did a great job! I really can't handle his vibrato and his faces he pulls when he sings,, and I think he's a little 'hoppy' at times. But, he did nail it,, he was on key, and the boy knows how to sing from the inner depths of  his soul.

  • Lauren Alaina - "You keep me holdin' on".. this was her best performance so far. She looked pretty and refined,, not like a 'toddler and tiara' contestant. Her makeup has been so heavy and the hair so big,,, it was nice to see her in a classier look. Her singing was good, but I wanted more from her. I wanted some high notes at the end, it built up, but then never went anywhere. 

  • Stefano Langone- "Hello"... I guess I never really considered this song a motown classic. It's just a good old 80's Lionel Richie love song. Stefano's faces are bugging me. He looks like he's in pain sometimes. And like the judges said, it did look like he was concentrating too much. I can't imagine how hard it is for these kids to perform under stress/pressure/ a week of rehearsal, etc. He might be in trouble.

  • Haley Reinhart - "You really got ahold on me"... I thought this was her best too. I'm not sure if she's doing anything to grab fans.... she can sing and she does have confidence, there's just something about her that's not making people vote.

  • Scotty McCreery - seriously, every week I just can't believe that voice comes out of that little kid. So here's the celebrity doppleganger of the week. My hubs and I were dying over this.... what do you think? lol. We also were throwing out Howdy Doody, and Woody from toy story,.... He sang "For Once in my life"... it was good. He never sings a bad note.
Mad Newman 

  • Pia Toscano - "All in love is fair"... didn't I mention last week that she needed to start singing some upbeat songs instead of the dead serious ones? Man,,,, she has a GREAT voice and range.. and wonderful control.
  • Paul McDonald - "Tracks of my tears".. so when Adam Lambert sang this 2 years ago it was outstanding... I was a little nervous for him to do it,, but he did awesome. Loved that he brought the guitar out. It kinda forces him to not do his chicken dance on stage. He has a crazy raspy voice and his range isn't that big, but I  still feel really happy watching and listening to him.
  • Naima Adedapo- "Dancin' in the streets."... what the?? she's nuts, I kinda had to look away for a bit. Not sure if the African Dancing needed to be in there, but she is who she is I suppose. She might be in the bottom 3.
  • James Durbin - "Living for the city"... man he's got some pipes. I really like his voice, but his stage antics might be a little too, um, what's that word Simon used to say,, indulgent? is that what I'm thinking of? Well, he still rocked it.
So My power rankings (and this was hard) based solely on last night's performances are as follows:
  1. James Durbin
  2. Pia Toscano
  3. Paul McDonald
  4. Jacob Lusk
  5. Scotty McCreery
  6. Lauren Alaina
  7. Thia Megia
  8. Casey Abrams
  9. Haley Reinhart
  10. Stefano Langone
  11. Naima Adedapo (not that she did bad, it was just a little weird for me)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang, I missed the first five! Still not a Jacob fan. He just bugs me for some reason.

Becky said...

Wow, Scotty TOTALLY looks like that Mad guy!! That's hilarious.

I wanted either Stefano or Naima to go home last night. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the results show!